Evacuations are always scary. Emergency situations are the only true test of preparedness. During an evacuation, people need to get out quick and during the craziness, it can be hard to think. Therefore, it is amply important to have a plan in place. Here are the items that are necessary to pack in the event of an emergency.
Packing a Go-Bag provides the best preparation possible. This bag should be kept in a safe place that is easy to get to. Each person in the home should know where this bag is and what to do if the household must evacuate. These are the items that should be in the bag:
• Water Bottles
• Non-Perishable Food
• A Full First Aid Kit
• Batteries and Chargers for All Devices
• A Whistle
• Changes of Clothing
• Local Maps
• Crank or Battery-Operated Radio
Other items such as toilet paper, moist towelettes and trash bags are also useful. Make sure everything chosen fits comfortably in the bag and is not too heavy. Also, one bag is good but if each member of the household has their own bag, that will help ensure everyone has their own clothing and extra supplies.
When in the heat of an emergency, officials want households to remember to bring the Six Ps:
1) People and Pets-Everything else can be replaced. Lives are always the most important when in an emergency.
2) Papers and Phone Numbers-Keep a list of phone numbers in the same place that the household keeps important documents. That way, the family always has a way to contact people, regardless of the situation with their personal phone.
3) Prescriptions-Always ensure that each member of the family has their medication, as it might be difficult to acquire during an evacuation.
4) Pictures-Loosing pictures of people in an emergency can be devastating. Therefore, it is important to remember pictures and personal items that are important to the household.
5) Personal Computers-It is possible that a lot of the items previously mentioned are stored on a personal computer. This makes this item more valuable.
6) Plastics- During an emergency, the household will want to have identification, as well as cash and debit cards. If the evacuation outlasts the supplies, eventually, you are going to have to buy something. Therefore, it is important to prove who you are and have the ability to buy the supplies you need.
In summation, there usually is not a lot of time to think when in the middle of an emergency. Therefore, it is important to prepare and know exactly what to look for. Having a plan is a good way to relieve some of the panic of an emergency. Being as prepared as possible is the key to evacuating safely and effectively, should there be a need.
Do you have homeowners insurance? If not, Peninsula General is here for you!